Expo 2020 Dubai: Connecting Minds, Creating the Future
Photo Caption: The most iconic structure of Expo 2020 Dubai, the Al Wasl Plaza Dome is taking shape at the heart of the Expo 2020 site. Al Wasl Plaza will include restaurants and parks inside and will will serve as a future hub for major UAE events after the Expo. The dome is large enough to fit two airbus A380’s inside.
Expo 2020 Dubai is preparing to put on the World’s Greatest Show of human brilliance and achievement. It will be a moment in time to be part of a never-experienced event, with access to the greatest inventions and millions of chances to make a lasting change.
Expo 2020 Dubai is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and the UAE is extending an invitation to people from across the planet to join them for the World’s Greatest Show – a six-month celebration of human brilliance and achievement that will inspire everyone to create a better future for all. It will be a time to create and renew connections that will strengthen and deepen through 2020 and beyond, a time to be awed by the spectacular events programme, and a time to do business. The doors will be open to the world between 20 October 2020 and 10 April 2021.
20 October 2020
10 April 2021
Weekends andspecial days:
Expo 2020 Dubai is the first World Expo to be held in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA) region, and the largest event ever held in the Arab world. Expo 2020 Dubai’s theme, ‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future’, is the belief that innovation and progress are the result of people and ideas coming together in new and unique ways.
For the first time in World Expo history, every country will have its own pavilion. Expo 2020 will also move away from traditional geographical clusters and band together countries facing similar challenges within the three subthemes of Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability.
On 27 November 2013, the UAE was elected as the host country of World Expo 2020 during the 154th General Assembly of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), with a record number of votes. In March 2016, Expo 2020 Dubai revealed its new logo, which was inspired by a ring found at the Saroug Al Hadeed archaeological site in Dubai. The UAE connected ancient civilisations and continues to be a hub that connects the world.
Expo 2020 Dubai coincides with the UAE’s 50th anniversary in 2021, marking an important milestone for the UAE. Over the past 50 years, the UAE has impressed the world with its rapid growth and amazing achievements. Expo 2020 Dubai wants to motivate people to carry that innovative spirit forward for another 50 years – at least.
With 25 million visits expected, Expo 2020 Dubai will create millions of opportunities for positive change, as we come together to solve some of the biggest challenges facing us all.
The people attending will come from all over the world, with 70 per cent expected to be international visitors, the highest proportion in World Expo history. 30,000 UAE resident volunteers from a range of nationalities and backgrounds will ensure visitors have the time of their lives – returning again and again.
Theme and subthemes:
Our world has never been more connected, and the opportunities for shared thinking, collective development and beneficial trade and commerce have never been greater.
Expo’s theme is ‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future’. The reason behind the choice of this theme is our belief that innovation and progress are the result of people from different fields and backgrounds, who would not normally collaborate, coming together in new and unique ways to share ideas.
The nations and organisations that will take part in Expo, and the millions who visit, will explore the power of connections across the key subthemes of Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability – areas that we see as fundamental in shaping our world.
Opportunity: Unlocking the potential for individuals and communities to shape the future
Mobility: Creating smarter and more productive movement of people, goods and ideas, both physically and virtually
Sustainability: Respecting and living in balance with the world we inhabit to ensure a sustainable future for all
Throughout its history, the UAE has shown the world what is possible through its remarkable development. With Expo 2020 Dubai, we want to engage with people throughout our journey, to play a part in inspiring the next generation and, together, spark innovations that underpin the coming 50 years of human progress.
Expo 2020 will be a celebration of creativity, innovation, humanity and world cultures. We are extending an invitation to people from around the world to join us and experience a World Expo. It will be a time to create and renew connections that will strengthen and deepen through 2020 and beyond. It is a time to be awed by the spectacular events programme and a time to do business.
Expo 2020 Dubai will contribute to achieving the UAE Vision 2021 National Agenda by supporting the growth of tourism, stimulating the development of innovative businesses in the UAE, and enhancing the country’s international reputation as a location to do business.
Through our youth and business engagement activities, and the Expo itself, Expo will stimulate the economic, cultural and scientific growth, and unlock the potential of one of the world’s youngest and fastest growing populations. Expo 2020 Dubai is committed to building a legacy that is sustainable and enduring, and will set a benchmark for future World Expos. The overall aim is to create a long-term legacy of collaboration and innovation for human progress through four pillars:
Expo 2020 will help to achieve UAE Vision 2021 by increasing tourism and developing innovative businesses. Expo 2020 has put a special emphasis on small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), understanding that they are key to future growth and job creation in the United Arab Emirates. Expo 2020 has committed 20 per cent of direct and indirect spending to SMEs.
Expo 2020 Dubai is committed to building a long-lasting and sustainable legacy in many industries and areas. More than 80 per cent of Expo 2020’s infrastructure will have practical value long into the future as part of District 2020.
Accenture, DP World and Siemens, as well as Merck KGaA Germany and Shanghai-based Atlas Capital, have already confirmed they will establish a permanent presence at District 2020.
The Expo 2020 site:
- The Expo 2020 site is located within the Dubai South district, close to Al Maktoum International Airport and easily reached from Dubai International Airport, Abu Dhabi International Airport and Dubai and Abu Dhabi Cruise Terminals.
- Historically, Dubai was called Al Wasl, or ‘the connection’, because of how it connected people from all over the region. On the Expo site, visitors will gather at Al Wasl Plaza to enjoy celebrations and cultural events from 192 countries.
- The Expo site is 4.38 square kilometres. Approximately 2 square kilometres will form the Expo gated area, while the remaining 2.4 square kilometres will feature supporting amenities and facilities, including the Expo 2020 Village for participant and staff accommodation, warehousing, logistics, transport nodes, hotels, retail and a public park.
- The three Thematic Districts are central to the design of the masterplan and reflect the subthemes of Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability. The Expo gated area will feature 192 individual Country Pavilions that will showcase the unique architecture, culture and exhibits that each country wishes to present. The Thematic Pavilions will house interactive exhibitions and engaging content to explore the themes in a fun and entertaining way. Each Thematic District will also include performance spaces, innovation galleries and art installations and outdoor gardens. There is also a children’s park and a full events programme for families
- The Expo gated area will include a wide variety of food and retail options and visitors will be able to taste dishes from around the world and explore unique shopping experiences.
- The Expo site will also include extensive hospitality, as well as private hospitality opportunities and state-of-the-art conference and meeting spaces and entertainment areas that will be made available for private hire. Site development at the physical Expo 2020 Dubai site began in March 2016.
Outreach and engagement:
Over six months, more than 200 participants, including 192 countries and millions of visitors, will come together to celebrate Expo 2020 Dubai. One of Expo 2020 Dubai’s goals is to contribute to the country’s international reputation as a location to do business and give the world the extra “push” it needs to tackle new challenges.
The UAE wants to attract people from all over the world by ensuring we offer something for everyone, across families, students, travellers, government and business.